Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Universal Website Hijacking by Exploiting Firewall Content Filtering Features + SonicWALL firewalls 0day

From: "Adrian P." <ap () gnucitizen org>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:03:54 +0000

Hi sipherr,

The issue you referenced seems to only affect blocked sites (i.e.:
adware sites). The SonicWALL issue I reported allows you to hijack
*any site* (universal XSS) - including NON-blocked sites - by simply
inserting a swearword in the target site's URL. i.e.:

'+document.cookie</script>">Click me!</a>

Furthermore, the advisory you referenced explains how the script is
injected within the logs page, therefore the victim user can only be
the firewall administrator. The issue I reported allows you to attack
*any user* located in the LAN "protected" by the vulnerable SonicWALL
firewall.

Hope this makes sense.

Please see section "A REAL EXAMPLE AGAINST SONICWALL FIREWALLS" on the
following document for more details:

http://lab.gnucitizen.org/research-papers/Universal_website_hijacking_by_attacking_firew.pdf?attredirects=0

Regards,
ap.