Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [OpenID] OpenID/Debian PRNG/DNS Cache poisoning advisory

From: "Ben Laurie" <benl () google com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:51:34 +0100

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.)
<eddy_nigg () startcom org> wrote:
This affects any web site and service provider of various natures. It's not
exclusive for OpenID nor for any other protocol / standard / service! It may
affect an OpenID provider if it uses a compromised key in combination with
unpatched DNS servers. I don't understand why OpenID is singled out, since
it can potentially affect any web site including Google's various services
(if Google would have used Debian systems to create their private keys).

OpenID is "singled out" because I am not talking about a potential
problem but an actual problem.

We have spotted other actual problems in other services. Details will
be forthcoming at appropriate times.