Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: [Full-disclosure] Next generation malware: Windows Vista's gadget API

From: Ed Patterson <epatterson () DirectApps com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:21:34 -0700

Sirs,
The lack of a defense vector doesn't translate magically to a new attack vector. The absence of common security
mitigating controls is referred to as a vulnerability. Really all old attack vectors apply.

The secure design model for this type of application should be a sandboxed by zone. The vulnerability is that the code
is implicitly trusted no sandbox implemented and of course it will be difficult to hold evil gadget creators to task
due to the transparent lack of any accountability by everyone. Fingers are already flying.

The issue is all about an un-sandboxed application where standard best practices use and vast prior experience should
have dictated it should have been sand boxed. This is a divestiture away from signed controls and towards 3rd party
security programs.

So once again we have no sandbox mitigating controls coupled with a firm lack of accountability per gadget means
breached operating systems. Those who have additional security programs largely make up the difference and those who
don't will always be wondering why and how the vendor let them get pwned.
(As you say, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Let's wait
until the phishers discover it and then revisit the topic :-).

I think bot herders will have a field day collecting new devices with this.

Ed