Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: [Full-disclosure] URI handling woes in Acrobat Reader, Netscape,Miranda, Skype

From: "Kurt Dillard" <kurtdillard () msn com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:52:28 -0400

In my opinion, every application should handle incoming data as bad data. Its poor programming to assume that incoming data is properly formatted and safe to process as is, even if the data is supposed to come from a process you own. Why so extreme? Because the bad guys are going to figure out how to get bad data to your code using pathways you didn't consider. In other words, I agree with Geo that each of the applications should inspect the URI before processing it. The OS components that are involved should too, but the 3rd party apps should never assume that IE or whatever has done so.