Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: New Include Redirect Bug XSS All vBulletin(r) v 3.x.x

From: scott-REMOVE- () vbulletin com
Date: 22 Jun 2007 10:30:09 -0000

I fully understand the significance of XSS and the numerous different ways to get it on the server but this focuses
directly on the ability to place a web viewable document on the same domain which vBulletin doesn't provide itself.

What the author of this exploit has described is a way to influence a user to visit a link to a crafted page already
present on the domain, it isn't traversing out of the directory, its only changing the value of a src or an href
parameter.

Short of removing the ability for users to provide links there isn't a way to fix this, and even if we did they could
just put the link on anyway and have someone copy and paste.

In my eyes it isn't even an exploit at all, if you can create unsanitised content that is web viewable then there is a
more significant problem that needs resolved and it out of our scope to fix.

Scott MacVicar