Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Jetty Session ID Prediction

From: Chris Anley <chris () ngssoftware com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:29:21 +0000

Amit Klein wrote:
Chris Anley wrote:
Hi folks,
I've posted a paper that explains a little more here:
http://www.ngssoftware.com/research/papers/Randomness.pdf

Nice paper. I do notice an enumeration loop over 2^16 possible 16-bit
values. This can be improved as following (note: this is probably
already discussed in mathematic literature - i.e. I probably did not
invent it...):

<lots of cool stuff cut>

This should be much faster than looping over 2^16 values.

Cheers Amit, that's cool and I'm sure it's faster. There are quite a few
neat tricks in the literature - Knuth's paper on predicting lcg's where
you're missing the low bits is good (I was trying to work out whether
his technique and yours are equivalent; I'm still not sure...), and the
paper Michal Zalewski recommended:
http://dsns.csie.nctu.edu.tw/research/crypto/HTML/PDF/C89/138.PDF
is also neat. One interesting (?) question is whether that technique
applies to the mysql rand, which is wierd and custom, and used in the
auth protocol prior to version 4.1.

I don't think anyone's published the code for a totally generic
predictor before, but I might be mistaken. If anyone knows, could they
shout...?

Anyhow, ultimately, it's a POC for a specific bug.
I loop over 2^16 values because it's instant, and easy. :o)

Cheers,

     -chris.

--
E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this email and any subsequent
correspondence is private, is solely for the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential or privileged information. For those other than
the intended recipient(s), any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any
other action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on such
information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the
intended recipient and have received this message in error, please
inform the sender and delete this mail and any attachments.

The views expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect NGS policy.
NGS accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission
or use of emails and attachments having left the NGS domain.

NGS and NGSSoftware are trading names of Next Generation Security
Software Ltd. Registered office address: 52 Throwley Way, Sutton, SM1
4BF with Company Number 04225835 and VAT Number 783096402