Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Firefox bookmark cross-domain surfing vulnerability

From: "pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:12:02 +0000

This vulnerability is cute but not very useful mainly because a lot of
social engineering is required.

However, here is an interesting thought for you: instead of asking the
user into bookmarking a page you can supply the bookmark directly to
their browser by using Live Bookmarks. So, a mainstream attack will be
when a SPLOG network injects malicious links into their feeds. If
someone happens to be subscribed to this network with a Live Bookmark
and they click on it... well you know.

I haven't tested this, although it should work. So, although I would
rate this issue as low risk, it could as well be quite high or at
least medium.

cheers

On 2/22/07, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, pdp (architect) wrote:

> michal, is that a feature or a bug? maybe it is not obivous to me what
> you are doing but it i feel that it is almost like asking the user to
> bookmark a bookmarklet.

Bookmarklets should be bookmarkable only manually, with user knowledge and
consent (that is, you need to copy-and-paste the URL, etc). This seems to
be the case for javascript: URLs.

Here, the situation is different: the user can, and quite likely will,
unknowingly bookmark a script while attempting to bookmark a regular page
via Ctrl-D + <return>. He doesn't expect or want this code to later run in
the context of his start page or any other resource (principle of least
astonishment, etc, etc).

Cheers,
/mz

--