Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris telnet vulnberability - how many on your network?

From: georg.oppenberg () deu mci com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:19:52 +0100

Hi,

Solaris is now Open Source, so you can see yourself at
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/diff/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/cmd-in
et/usr.sbin/in.telnetd.c?r2=3629&r1=2923
what the problem and its resolution are.
There are also the blogs by Alan Hargreaves from SUN Australia at
http://blogs.sun.com/tpenta/entry/the_in_telnetd_vulnerability_exploit
and by Dan McDonald from SUN at
http://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/entry/how_opensolaris_did_its_job
describing how this vulnerability was first reported, fixed and alerts
and patches provided.

This is a big mistake but I see no reason to think of backdoors and
age-old problems on other OSes any longer. On the contrary I can see
the huge progress SUN has made and is making in regards to security and
openness.

Cheers
        Georg Oppenberg