Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: TCP Port randomization paper

From: Amit Klein <amit.klein () trusteer com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:56:31 +0200

Hi Fernando+list

I'm glad to see that someone takes aim at this issue.

However, it seems that your proposal only attempts to address one consequence of predictable TCP source ports, namely blind TCP attacks (in all fairness, it appears that the object of your proposal is to solve the blind TCP attacks, rather than the issue of predictable TCP source ports; I look at it the other way around...). Naturally this is a major outcome, but there are still other consequences, perhaps less severe, such as traffic analysis. For example, the naïve (and as explained in your draft, flawed) algorithm in Fig. 1 of your IETF draft advances next_ephemeral globally. Therefore, if the attacker can force the target host to periodically establish a new TCP connection to an attacker controlled machine (or through an attacker observable routing path), the attacker can subtract consecutive source port values to obtain the number of outoing TCP connections established globally by the target host within that time period (up to wrap-around issues and 5-tuple collisions, of course).

However, note that algorithm #3 in your proposal is also susceptible to the same technique.

Algorithm #4 is affected as well, to some degree. The "table" array compartmentalize the space into TABLE_LENGTH sections. An attacker can perform traffic analysis for any section into which the attacker has "visibility", namely that the attacker can force the server to establish connection whose G(offset) points to this section. The attacker has little control over to which section exactly the host will map the attacker's traffic, but once there, the attacker can monitor traffic volumes (new outgoing TCP connections) for this arbitrary section.

Again, I don’t know if this is in scope for your draft, but I do believe that looking at the generic problem here, this should be a factor.

Thanks, and good luck,
-Amit