Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Cracking String Encryption in Java Obfuscated Bytecode

From: Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epstein () webmethods com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:49:49 -0800

Jim,

With all respect, I (partially) disagree with you:

With respect, I disagree from a Java perspective.

1) If you are deploying Java on the server you are protected
by so many layers, code obfuscation is not critical

True, but there are more reasons than just security for using obfuscation -
reducing (but not eliminating!) the risk of reverse engineering, protection
of intellectual property, etc.  So if you're saying "code obfuscation is not
critical FOR SECURITY" I agree, but not necessarily for other reasons.

2) If you are deploying Java Applets for enterprise
applications, you are nuts. They are inherently insecure and
Java applets have a long history of critical problems.

Well, this is true - but it's the wrong reason.  As just about everyone on
this list knows, relying on the client side to do security enforcement is
inherently a losing proposition.  And obfuscating the bytecode doesn't make
client-side enforcement any more secure.

--Jeremy