Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: A Nasty Security Bug that affect PGP Virtual Disks & PGP SDA , PGP 8.x & 9.x and Truecrypt.

From: visitbipin () hotmail com
Date: 27 May 2006 06:34:33 -0000

----------[SNIP]------------
yes so a random key K is used to encrypt all the data on the volume; the passphrase is used to encrypt the key K. This
design allows to change the passphrase without reencrypting the whole drive (only K needs to be reencrypted).

the only weekness i see in this process is if we are using virtual disk & the file gets fragmented during the I/O of
changing the passphrase (s) the old volume header might stay in some part of disk but which is again very hard PIN
point it. (Check: Header Key Derivation, Salt... scheme of truecrypt)

but yes when we change the passpharse I'M DOUBTFUL if TrueCrypy overwrites the sectors in the hdd. with atlest few
wipes before it overwrites a new header.

redards,
-bipin
http://bipin.tk