Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SendGate: Sendmail Multiple Vulnerabilities (Race Condition DoS, Memory Jumps, Integer Overflow)

From: Casper.Dik () Sun COM
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:36:32 +0200

* Theo de Raadt:

What if we ignore your procedures?  What if we say no?

You won't be told about bugs in the code you write.  It's as simple as
that.

But I don't quite understand why Gadi is so thoroughly offended by the
way how this vulnerability has been handled so far.  The patches might
be obscure, but at least there are official patches for older
versions, too.  And there is an official advisory.  It could be far
worse.  The programmers of a rather popular kernel do not publish
advisories at all, for instance.

I don't quite understand the complaints about "obscure" patches;
intricate bugs require elaborate patches; it's not a one line
sprintf->snprintf change that is easy to understand.

Because of the way the bug was addressed, ripping out setjmp/longjmp,
a lot of change is needed which is not immediately obvious.

But such is the nature of complicated bug fixes; sometimes one also needs
to rewrite parts in a more natural way or code will become increasingly
"patchy" and less maintainable.

Casper