Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: New Snort Bypass - Patch - Bypass of Patch

From: "M. Dodge Mumford" <dodge () nfr net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 12:12:57 -0400

[Sorry to reply to my own post, but...]

M. Dodge Mumford said:
Sigint Consulting said:
perl -e 'print "GET \x0d/index.php\x90\x90 HTTP/1.0\n\r\n"'|nc
192.168.1.3 80

No alert is generated from the string above.

[...]

We are not sure how much this may buy an attacker as the CR character
may mess up any requests to the webserver, further research is needed
on this.

I performed this research while developing NFR's web signatures, and found
that all web servers I tested (several years ago) handled end-of-lines using
"\x0d\x0a" and "\x0a" interchangeably. If you find a web server that
interprets "index.php" in the example above as an actual filename, I for one
would be very interested in knowing about it.

Apparently my memory is failing. If I performed this test, I remembered the
results incorrectly.  Mea culpa.

--

Dodge