Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: LAMP vs Microsoft

From: "Jarrod Frates" <jfrates.ml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:19:11 -0700

The debates that go back and forth on this relate to the inherent
difference between LAMP and a Microsoft platform.  When you install
LAMP (using CentOS or Debian for a baseline installation, for
example), what applications are you including that are not in the
Windows environment?  What applications are included in Windows that
are not in the LAMP environment?

Perhaps a more specifically-defined question would be more useful.
Are you probing for the entire platform, or just the web-visible
architecture?  If it's just a comparison of Apache/MySQL/PHP on a
Linux kernel compared to just IIS/MSDE/ASP on a Windows kernel, that
may make more sense than an overall comparison.  Further specifying
whether only kernel exploits that are remotely-accessible should be
included or if all kernel exploits should be counted would also be of
use.

I don't have the numbers for a comparison of this type, but they would
probably be of some interest if someone wanted to put them together.
Might not be terribly difficult, either.

Jarrod