Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MySQL 5.0 information leak?

From: Johan De Meersman <jdm () operamail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:09:58 +0100

Burton Strauss wrote:

Traditionally the schema for a database is NOT secure information.
Applications download this information to build queries on the fly.

The essential problem is relying on security by obscurity, "I have user
accounts (nss) that have publicly available credentials but noone [sic]
should be able to see how the database really is organized".

I don't agree - basic security says that no user should have more access
than he strictly needs. A user that only uses a fixed set of queries
doesn't need to see how the database is laid out - if he can, an
attacker wouldn't need to guess the names of other fields that may
contain sensitive information.

Obviously those fields should be access-restricted as well, but you
shouldn't make things easier on any front.

--
You prefer the company of the opposite sex, but are well liked by your own.

Public GPG key at blackhole.pca.dfn.de

N+(++) o K w$ !O !M V PS(++)@ PE-(++)@ Y+ PGP++(+++) t(+) 5 X R tv--