Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: update on the linux worm

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:17:29 -0700

On 2/18/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
A quick digest of some updates from the last few hours on this issue:

1. The worm is based on 'kaiten', which has been going around in
different variants for a long time now.

2. This worm is new.

3. The first part exploits PHP applications, like these variants
normally do.

4. The second part spreads to other systems.

5. The worm connects to a botnet C&C based on two Fast-flux DNS RR's
which are not there anymore, and as they change, are taken down.

As always, more updates if necessary on: http://blog.securiteam.com

Looking at items on blog.securiteam.com, the ip address the worm was
being downloaded from in the beginning showed up around Feb 14, 2005
in all the logs I have. I am not sure if this was a precursor to the
newer worm though.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator