Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

From: Seth Breidbart <sethb () panix com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:43:49 -0500 (EST)

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> wrote:

If you're trying to understand the security properties of a
system by breaking into it, you not producing valuable
reports, anyhow. All you are doing is telling them where
to put the next band-aid.

I know of too many (more than none is too many) examples where a
company went to a Big Consulting Firm and asked for a report on the
security of their systems.  Many tens of kilobucks later, they got a
fancy bound report that said "we couldn't break in" followed by 200
pages of ass-covering by the consulting firm.  Then they went to a
real security expert, who spent one day attacking their system and
gave them a report saying "here are the five easiest ways I found to
break into your system.  Fix them and call me back."

You might not consider that valuable; but how do you consider the
expensive fancy bound completely worthless report?

Seth