Bugtraq mailing list archives

InfoSec Paper: Creating Business Through Virtual Trust

From: "Kenneth F. Belva" <ken () ftusecurity com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:15:40 -0400

Information Security Community,

Please consider our paper - "Creating Business Through Virtual Trust: How to Gain and Sustain a Competitive Advantage Using Information Security" - for your review.

Here is the abstract from our paper:

"Cash. Profit. Margins. Productivity. This is the language of business. At this time, it is not the language of information security. Business is concerned with the creation of new entities and assets that generate cash. Information security, by contrast, is traditionally concerned with protecting these entities and assets. In this paper we examine a perspective which currently exists but is largely dormant in the information security field. We maintain that information security can be actively involved in the creation of business and that the skills required to create commercial activity must be added to the information security professional’s intellectual tool set. We also present evidence to demonstrate that the capability of security to create business, which we designate by the term “virtual trust”, may become a dominant paradigm for how to think about information security."

The paper may be downloaded here:
http://www.ftusecurity.com/pub/VT-belva-dekay-final.pdf

We have set up a website for your feedback. Please register if you are interested in participating in the dialogue. The site is:
http://bbs.ftusecurity.com

Thanks for your interest. We look forward to a productive discussion.

Sincerely,
Kenneth F. Belva & Sam H. Dekay