Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Re: when will AV vendors fix this???

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:33:15 -0500

Andreas Marx wrote:
At 22:35 07.08.2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:

[...]
This is similar to the problem of alternative data streams. Essentially, the work needed to solve this problem isn't worth the expenditure of time and
effort, because the file, in order to infect the system, has to be executed.  Once the file is executed "normal" on-access scanning will catch the
exploit *if* it is known.  (If it's unknown, it doesn't matter anyway.)  Yes, on-demand scanning won't "see" the file, but even
malicious files are benign until they are run.
[...]

No, that's not the case. On-Access scanner *might* be able to catch the malware (if it's a known variant), but it could be
that the scanner is missing the file, depending on it's implementation. The same applies to the On-Demand scanner: it might or
might not detect it, even if the *known* malware can still run on a system, as many tricks exists to get the file executed. Here are
two articles showing this with ADS, including some test results:

You've got my curiosity now. Are you saying that no AV product will "see" exploit once it enters memory? Granted, that's one step further than on-access, but I thought that all AV products (now) were looking at memory for file accesses.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer