Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TSRT-06-02: Microsoft SRV.SYS Mailslot Ring0 Memory Corruption Vulnerability

From: public () frank4dd com
Date: 14 Aug 2006 14:44:39 -0000

After furiously patching since last week for catching up with MS06-040, we discovered that a old exploit for MS06-035
(again or still) works on a number fully patched systems including Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP and Windows 2000.

The exploit that works is: http://milw0rm.org/exploits/2057

All our tested systems (8 total) except one went into reboot after being hit with the exploit above. All tested systems
have been patched with the latest available patches from Microsoft as of today, August 14th, 2006 4:00 PM MESZ, using
both the standard Windows Update function and applying patches by hand.
Explicit download of KB917159 patch, applying it and reboot, with no result. I carefully checked the version of the
srv.sys binary according to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-035.mspx and found it to be
correct, meaning the patch should be applied correctly.

My only conclusion at this time is that the Microsoft delivered patch for MS06-035 does not work. Can anyone confirm
this behaviour?

Thanks,
Frank

This is regarding MS06-035, CVE-2006-1314