Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FileZilla weakly-encrypted password vulnerability: advisory + PoC

From: Nicholas Knight <nknight () runawaynet com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:10:18 -0700

m123303 () securityfocus com wrote:
Vulnerability summary
- ---------------------
- - FileZilla client stores password using weak XOR "encryption"
- - The value of the cipher key is static (it never changes) and can be found in the source code

As I'm getting rather tired of explaining to people, you will find the same "vulnerability" in any number of programs (KMail and KNode spring to mind immediately, as I've had to recover passwords from them in the past).

Developers don't intend these features as true security (note that the fact that the passwords are stored obfuscated is never advertised), but rather a deterrent against casual snoopers (like, say, a younger sibling being naughty), and reporting it isn't going to get you anything but mocked.

If you want to report something *closer* to a real vulnerability, try reporting the fact that FileZilla stores the information in a public folder instead of the user's private areas. On a multi-user system shared among family members, storing the data where it belongs offers far greater deterrent at zero cost.