Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re : [Firefox Bug 302187] New: Shared section vulnerability when opening microsoft office document resulting in DoS

From: sylvain.roger () solucom fr
Date: 28 Jul 2005 17:54:41 -0000

As I got some questions about this I think I need to precise it.
I can say for sure now : It is not a firefox vulnerability but Microsoft Office vulnerability. Firefox is just here as
an example.
The vulnerability is that when a winword.exe process is created from another application (like firefox.exe) it creates
a shared section called \BaseNameObjects\Mso97SharedDgXXXXXXXX which has write rights for everyone. This allows to
write arbitrary data on the shared section resulting in a denial of service of all opened Microsoft Office
applications. It may be necessary sometimes to reboot the machine in order to use again the Office applications.
Microsoft just answers it is a technical issue and not a security issue