Bugtraq mailing list archives

A comment on using CPU resources, addendum.

From: Jeroen van Rijn <xananda () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:22:04 +0200

Some other thoughts concerning the matter.

Do keep in mind people don't usually spend a lot of time on a particular page, so if it's run in the background without people's consent, it's unlikely to be very useful. This may however not stop someone from trying to write some client gathering info about the user, their habits, their PC, and sending the info back before the page is closed or another link clicked.

Hi Ken,

There have been java applets that did this with the user's consent, e.g. the MD5crack distributed computing effort had one: http://distributedcomputing.info/recent.html , http://www.engsoc.org/~jlcooke/ It is not inconceivable one could do something useful with ecma/java/j-script too, however it would have to be some variant of AJAX to be useful to whomever wrote/hosted the script? However, I don't think you're likely to see anyone stealing your CPU time with this as of yet.

Maybe someone else has different thoughts on the matter :)

- Jeroen.

Greetings and Salutations:

I had an issue with my Firefox browser. The browser was static, yet it was
using 70% or 80% of the CPU of the system.

It got me to thinking. Java is a programming language. What would prevent companies from running a java script on your computer while you are viewing
their page that uses your CPU to do some computing for them?  Instead of
selling (or in addition to selling) advertising the company could also sell
CPU to other companies.

Is this feasible?

Ken