Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tool for Identifying Rogue Linksys Routers

From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:41:12 -0300

Why not arpwatch? It is tiny, simple and passive.

On 8/25/05, Matt Mercer <MattM () pyramidcorporation com> wrote:
Hi Martin,

We are migrating from Lucent QIP to MetaIP for DHCP services and so
far we have had two issues when MetaIP has been implemented for  VLAN
that has an unauthorized Linksys router giving out IP addresses.

If you have an IDS such as Snort configured on your network, it would be
fairly straightforward to build a configuration watching for DHCP
traffic on specific VLANs not originating from legitimate servers (as
defined by you, The Administrator).

Find a helpful article here describing such a scenario:

http://security.itworld.com/4363/ITW3542/page_1.html

HTH,

Matt

--
Paul Halliday

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock."