Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re : [Firefox Bug 302187] New: Shared section vulnerability when opening microsoft office document resulting in DoS

From: Cesar <cesarc56 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

It's a security issue, i found it and reported this to
MS long time ago when i started to research shared
sections bugs, MS will fix the issue in some future. I
don't know why MS said to you that it's not a security
issue.

Cesar.

--- sylvain.roger () solucom fr wrote:

As I got some questions about this I think I need to
precise it.
I can say for sure now : It is not a firefox
vulnerability but Microsoft Office vulnerability.
Firefox is just here as an example.
The vulnerability is that when a winword.exe process
is created from another application (like
firefox.exe) it creates a shared section called
\BaseNameObjects\Mso97SharedDgXXXXXXXX which has
write rights for everyone. This allows to write
arbitrary data on the shared section resulting in a
denial of service of all opened Microsoft Office
applications. It may be necessary sometimes to
reboot the machine in order to use again the Office
applications.
Microsoft just answers it is a technical issue and
not a security issue