Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Peter Gutmann data deletion theaory?

From: Michael Sierchio <kudzu () tenebras com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:10:20 -0700

Jared Johnson wrote:

Do you all agree with Peter Gutman's conclusion on his theory that data can
never really be erased, as noted in his quote below:

Yes.  Patterns of overwriting can offer a probabilistic assurance of
deletion, but not a promise.  There is also the problem that disks
will silently remap sectors if they're error-prone, so it's not possible
in all cases to overwrite them.

If you're short on fishwrap, puppy training supplies, or birdcage liner,
you can print out an old whitepaper I wrote when I was trying to promote
a company based on a secure deletion scheme.  My proposal is to transparently
encrypt every file with a different key, and assure deletion by losing the
key.

http://www.tenebras.com/papers/wp-draft.pdf