Bugtraq mailing list archives

Unreal engine updates and Battle Mages advisory

From: Luigi Auriemma <aluigi () altervista org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:25:23 +0000

I have an update about the methods used to test the format string
vulnerability in the Unreal engine I reported yesterday.
I have solved a problem in the windows version of my proof-of-concept
unrfs-poc (now version 0.1.1):

  http://aluigi.altervista.org/poc/unrfs-poc.zip

The following instead is a very fast and easy method to test the Unreal
engine based games without using external programs or complicated exploits.
I highly suggest users to use this quick method instead of the previous
proof-of-concept:

-----
   Another method to test the vulnerability is the adding of %n after
   "Class=" in the file system/user.ini

   Example:

   From:
     Class=Engine.Pawn

   To:
     Class=%n%nEngine.Pawn

   If the game is vulnerable it will crash when launched.
-----

The last news regards an advisory about a server freeze bug in the new game
Battle Mages:

  http://aluigi.altervista.org/adv/battlemages-adv.txt

BYEZ

---