Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: PING: Outlook 2003 Spam

From: "http-equiv () excite com" <1 () malware com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:14:06 -0000

I think Mark might be onto something both the vml and the copies
of named files in the temp folder no longer appear to occur:

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10323
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10307

Those notes are dated 10th and 11th May. On the machine they no
longer work on, we have a couple XP so-called 'patches' from
14th May and 17th May with a 3 or 4 office update folders with
files created on 17th May as well.

How's that for service. Quick, silent patching ! No need to
bother anyone ! Well done lads.

[unless of course if our little XP test machines are broken and
we are seeing things]

"Spencer, Mark" <mspencer () evidentdata com> said:

Hello,

A coworker and I spent much of the day yesterday trying to
replicate
this behavior and we were not able to do so.  The only time we
can get
Outlook 2003 to pull anything from our server with this code
is when we
send the email within our own MS Exchange.  We've tried
multiple
clients, multiple SMTP servers, and many variations of the
code below
and have not been successful, other than emails sent between
Exchange
users.

I have not seen any other comments on this issue.  Is it
possible
Microsoft has already patched Outlook 2003 to only allow this
behavior
when dealing with a trusted zone?

Mark