Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft technologies. By default, non-HIPAA compliant?

From: "Cameron, Thomas" <Thomas.Cameron () bankofamerica com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:44:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Anything But Microsoft [mailto:abm () anythingbutmicrosoft org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 9:43 PM
To: <@securityfocus.com BUGTRAQ
Cc: secure () microsoft com
Subject: Microsoft technologies. By default, non-HIPAA compliant?

The US health care system is the only industry where best network and
security practices are a federally mandated requirement.

Um, no.  I work in the banking industry and we are federally regulated and audited for security.  I've never worked in
the medical industry but I'd be surprised if their requirements are more stringent than ours.

My view is that any health care provider using replaceable Microsoft
technologies is not HIPAA compliant, in regards to privacy or security
of patient data.

I've heard this type of comment about using MS products in banking.  It is my understanding (and I am *not* an expert)
that if an entity (banking, medical, whatever) reasonably attempts to keep up with security patches, AV updates and the
like, that they are compliant with federal requirements.

IANAL, and I don't work with the compliance team, this is just my understanding through casual conversation.

Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Assistant Vice President
Linux Design and Engineering
Bank of America
(972) 997-9641

The opinions expressed in this message to not necessarily reflect those of my employer, Bank of America.