Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Is predictable spam filtering a vulnerability?

From: David Brodbeck <DavidB () mail interclean com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:11:53 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: PSE-L () mail professional org [mailto:PSE-L () mail professional org]

Many sites employ SpamAssassin and the like to simply FLAG
messages and  pass them along to the intended recipient, who can then
employ their own  filter process within their email client

This is what I do.  Spam is tagged by a statistical filter, then tagged
messages are filtered into a "Junk Mail" folder by the user's email client.

In a corporate environment, where silently dropping mail from a customer is
totally unacceptable, this is a good compromise.  The user can skim their
junk mail folder now and then and pick out anything that looks like it's
important.  (I do this about once a day; only takes a few seconds.  A
non-spam message in a folder full of spam tends to be surprisingly obvious.)

Of course, what do I know?  Up till now, I assumed
intelligent folk could
manage to send a reply to a listserv without also sending an
unnecessary
carbon to the original message poster, and if not, at least courteous
people would pay attention to the sigline making such a request...

If I did this earlier, I'm sorry.  I correspond with a lot of people who
prefer to get carbon copies of list replies, especially on moderated lists.
I'm also not in the habit of reading signatures because they tend to be a
waste of time.  After seeing several dozen with bogus disclaimers and the
like in them you lose interest...

John Fitzgibbon wrote:
Archiving the dropped mail *and* terminating with a 5xx would be a much
better approach.

To me that seems *totally* broken.  A 5xx response means you didn't deliver
the mail, and the failure was permanent.  Terminating with a 5xx and then
delivering the mail somewhere isn't kosher; in fact, it's the worst of both
worlds.  You've still accepted the spam, *and* you've potentially created a
DSN.