Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Unprivilegued settings for FreeBSD kernel variables

From: Christian Ullrich <chris () chrullrich de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:01:49 +0200

* Eygene A. Ryabinkin wrote on Thursday, 2004-06-17:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:01:13PM +0200, Dag-Erling SmÞrgrav wrote:

I've already told you that there is no such threat, since the attack
you describe can only be initiated by someone who already has
unrestricted access.  Please stop wasting everybody's time.

 You are wrong. Unrestricted access means _really unrestricted_ and
kernel securelevel restricts access to certain places even to root.

Quite correct.

IMHO, it's dagerous bug, because some administrators can think "...hmm,
I've enabled the hardest securelevel and even if a hacker would break
into my host with r00t privileges he will be restricted in certain ways.

Correct as well.

But this bug changes things. One can lower securelevel, do some nasty
things and raise it again _without reboots_. So, as I've already
noted, you are wrong.

No. You CAN'T load or unload kernel modules if securelevel is > 0.

To make your attack work, the attacker would have to have access to
the system before it ever went to securelevel 1, 2 or 3, in order to
load the very kernel module your attack requires. Since that almost
certainly means that he had to be in the same room with the system,
I think "can only be initiated by someone who already has unrestricted
access" is completely correct.

--
Christian Ullrich

"There's nothing we can't face -- except for Bun-bun..."