Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More Webserver / IE Exploits

From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare () nihongo org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:15:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Hubbard, Dan wrote:

We have discovered more than 300 websites that include malicious code
that will attempt to run a program on your machine without end-user
intervention. Similar to the recent Scob attack, a dual-pronged approach
of exploiting vulnerable servers and clients is being used.

There is no commonality on the web server side with the exception of 164
sites that are all hosted by the same hosting facility in Florida.

Details on the hosting facility in Florida:

The site that includes the exploit code is:

http://www.karl-marx.ru/

[...]

I suspect this domain is a BlackHat server - period. We had a keylogger
trojan ("Padonok" - it WAS NOT detected by our any of our virus scanners,
malware detectors et al) hit one of our desktops more than a month ago.
It tried to deliver the stolen data to that server. That they are *still*
in operation tells you that they are either unbelievably incompetent or
actually owned in the financial sense by the bad guys.

Here is what little I know about them:

http://spamwatch.codefish.net.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=93&mode=thread

That dates all the way back to March...

--
Benjamin Franz

Catapultam habeo.

Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam.

(Translation: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling
 an enormous rock at your head.")
                                        Henry Beard