Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [ok] [Full-Disclosure] RE: Unchecked buffer in mstask.dll

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:27 -0500

Dmitry Yu wrote:
Being curious, on Win2k, I copied cmd.exe (from
winnt\system32) as xyz.pif;
then (right-click) Properties, Program crashes explorer. Is
this related to
IconHandler, and is it exploitable?

      Disassembly window shows that there was an attempt to read dword
at [EAX] (EAX=0).  So at first glance this doesn't seem to be
trivially
exploitable, but I'm not a win32 expert, and intuition
suggests that there
must be a way.

One possible exploit is to simply place the file on your desktop.
explorer.exe goes to 100% cpu.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke