Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: IE Shell URI Download and Execute, POC

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eEye com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:30:55 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Ferruh Mavituna [mailto:ferruh () mavituna com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 7:52 AM
To: 'L33tPrincess'; bugtraq () securityfocus com;
full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: IE Shell URI Download and
Execute, POC

Is the vulnerability mitigated by
today's Microsoft patch?

Both of POCs are working well (at least in my system -W2K3
all patches-)
after recent MS patches.

Can anyone confirm this ?

I can not. Wscript was deactivated with Guninski's WSH bug
a long time ago. I just tested running wscript in the My
Computer zone. It prompts as an unsafe activex.

However, Microsoft needs to get on the ball here and secure
that zone or make it trivial for their customers to do so. (Kudos
for their link on their security page, but that kind of
thing is targetted to IT professionals -- not to the masses...
and they can figure that out by themselves already.)

I also noticed the shell: path url does work as a source in
an iframe.

Ferruh.Mavituna
http://ferruh.mavituna.com
PGPKey : http://ferruh.mavituna.com/PGPKey.asc