Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: MSIE Download Window Filename + Filetype Spoofing Vulnerability

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eEye com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:20:51 -0700

This is an open bug. (One which is rather disturbing, so I am
not sure why Microsoft has chosen to not fix it.)

Date: 21 October 2001
http://www.guninski.com/popspoof.html

"Demonstration:

Image moving over download/open dialog:
http://www.guninski.com/opf2.html "

Note: This vulnerability as well as several more can be found
at http://www.greyhats.cjb.net

Download Window Filename + Filetype Spoofing Vulnerability

[Tested]

IEXPLORE.EXE file version 6.0.2800.1106

MSHTML.DLL file version 6.00.2800.1400

Microsoft Windows XP sp2

[Discussion]

When a webpage offers a file who's mime type can't be opened
in a browser, Internet Explorer usually displays a download
window with the filename and its type. Previous
vulnerabilities have been used to spoof the filename so the
victim thinks the file is something it isn't. This is one of
those vulnerabilities.

Window.createPopup() creates a popup that goes on top of
every other window. This includes applications other than
internet explorer. This doesn't seem like the greatest idea,
but it could be useful if you want to get urgent information
out to someone. By placing the popup in a certain location,
we can cover up the filename and its type in the download
window and replace it with our own. One more thing, we need
to set the popup's onoffload to open itself back up, because
if the parent window is clicked after a popup opens, the
popup is closed.

The example tells internet explorer to download badfile.exe,
which of course is an 'Application'. A popup is then opened
covering up the filename and type and replaces it with
'sexycoeds.jpg' (GGW commercial was on when I was writing
this ;) which is a 'JPEG Image'. The viewer should press
'open' to view the sexy coeds right away, which will download
and run badfile.exe. If you want, you can name the executable
sexycoeds.exe and change the icon so if the user presses
'save' windows should hide the extension and it will still
look like a jpg image.

[Example]

http://freehost07.websamba.com/greyhats/dlwinspoof.htm