Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Major hack attack on the U.S. Senate

From: Kirk Spencer <kspencer () ngrl org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:58:24 -0500

Agreed this was not a "hack attack" as usually considered.  However, I would
raise two points.  The first is simple - If someone starts reading files on a
computer to which they are not supposed to have access, do we not consider
this an attack?  Even if the reason they got in is configuration errors?

Second, there is a question of which side's position is easier to believe.
You said: " Additionally the Republicans allegedly 'in the summer of 2002,
their computer technician informed his Democratic counterpart of the glitch.'
You cut off the next sentence which says:  " Other staffers, however, denied
that the Democrats were told anything about it before November 2003."  The
article does not state whether it was Democrat or Republican staffers.

I'll ask a simple question which indicates why I think the latter is more
probable:  Can you think of a sysadmin who wouldn't act when told that _all_
his clients' passwords were invalid because the permissions were misapplied?

I think that the word "hack" is wrong.  Otherwise, yes, I think the tenor of
the article has validity.

Kirk Spencer