Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: blocking gzip encoded files

From: Gervase Markham <gerv () mozilla org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:49:01 +0000

Darwin Mecham wrote:
> It has recently come to my attention that most browsers happily
> do Accept-encoding: gzip and streaming decompression of
> HTML data received with Content-encoding: gzip
> without asking.
>
> Is there a way to configure the run-of-the-mill browser to
> block these at the host level ?

You can turn this off in Mozilla by changing the pref "network.http.accept-encoding", whose default value is "gzip,deflate".

You can set this in "about:config" in recent Mozilla builds, or by editing prefs.js or user.js in your profile using instructions available on the web.

This has been in Mozilla since May 2001, and should therefore be available in Netscape 7.x, Camino, Firefox et al. also.
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=mozilla/netwerk/protocol/http/src/nsHttpHandler.cpp#927

Gerv