Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: new WIN virus?

From: "pna.lists" <pna.lists () seznam cz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:18:50 +0100

Isn't this a perfect way how to release a new worm into the wild? Hyperlink
in a Bugtraq message/archive is a really innovative virus distribution
vector. Everybody else submits the suspicious files the the antivirus
companies.

i don't know much at all about windows, but this spam got past my spam
filter and drew my attention. i tested the suspect file in some on-line
virus checkers, and they all reported the file as not being a threat.
looking at the page that the spam requested (hidden after "@" in the link)
i can only think that the file is up to no-good.

the original spam, the page that it requests, and the suspicious "exe"
file:
http://smasher.suspicious.org/tmp/live-virus.tgz