Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DJB's students release 44 *nix software vulnerability advisories

From: Artem Chuprina <ran () ran pp ru>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:53:35 +0300

D. J. Bernstein -> bugtraq () securityfocus com  @ 18 Dec 2004 04:25:11 -0000:

In each case, Professor Bernstein notified the author of the
vulnerable package on Dec 15 via e-mail. This mail hit Bugtraq on the
16th, giving one day for vendors to provide fixes.

 DJB> Actually, I sent all of these notifications to the public
 DJB> securesoftware mailing list (http://securesoftware.list.cr.yp.to)
 DJB> at the same time that I sent them to the authors. It certainly
 DJB> wasn't my intention to give the authors an extra day of
 DJB> self-delusion.

Was it your intention not to give _users_ of their programs an extra
time of not being _widely_ attacked?  While you certainly cannot offer
them alternative software for their tasks - of your own programs only
ezmlm with third-party patches is more than proof of concept.  We need
software that does the work, not only one that demonstrates that the
work can be done in principle.

--
Artem Chuprina
RFC2822: <ran{}ran.pp.ru> Jabber: ran () jabber ran pp ru