Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: First vulnerabilities in the SP2 - XP ?...

From: Matthew Roberts <webmaster () matthew1471 co uk>
Date: 18 Aug 2004 18:31:52 -0000

This basically tells the user to open CMD and then execute the attachment in command line. Now, someone has to be
really, really dumb to do that.

People might forget that dragging and dropping to a command prompt actually executes the file.

I have 2 words, Batch files.. I did not get prompted when I double clicked a batch file containing one line "Malicious
program.exe"

Sp2 did not also detect that Viri.zip downloaded from the internet and contains an EXE inside it...

I am not trying to create bad press for SP2, I personally think very highly of it...

But I do think people will enter the trap "Wel it's gonna alert me if it's not safe ain't it?" I think that's the
biggest issue here