Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Blaster / Power Outage Follow up

From: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver () CS berkeley edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:02:44 -0700

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:36:17PM -0400, Richard M. Smith composed:
And here's more:

Blackout Probe Hears FirstEnergy Tapes
http://tinyurl.com/m8q4

The House committee released a transcript of telephone calls between
FirstEnergy and the Midwest region's power grid operator which showed
growing chaos and confusion in FirstEnergy's control room in the hours
before the blackout.

"We have no clue. OUR COMPUTER IS GIVING US FITS, TOO. We don't even
know the status of some of the stuff around us," an operator at Akron,
Ohio-based FirstEnergy said.

This suggestst that claims of network disruption are spurious (Blaster
has very little network load, a side effect of bad design), rather
than operator CONTROL computers were directly infected, as Blaster
causes all sorts of weird side-effects (eg, Cut & paste, drag and
drop, and any control system using RPC stops working).

--
Nicholas C. Weaver                                 nweaver () cs berkeley edu