Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: base64

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards () hq adiscon com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:22:52 +0200

Do all this canonicalization before the message hits your
attachment
type policy enforcement and malware scanner, so they only
have to deal
with the common forms that everybody handles the same.

With the obvious disadvantage that we're all reduced to using
the lowest-common-subset of functionality.  Never mind
inventing or supporting new features, or adding international
file naming support, in your new email client, because the
mail server will strip all of that out, anyway.  I don't
think that's an appropriate answer.

I think it is. Traditionally, newer RFCs *extend* existing ones - they
do not break there formats. So properly engineered new functionality
will either a) live within the boundary of an existing protocol or b)
specifiy a new one. In the case of a) canonocalication will do no harm,
in the case of b) it will not be applied as this is a separate protocol.

Rainer