Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BIND 9.2.2 Vulnerabilities?

From: Albert Sunseri <sunseri () abpi net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:36:43 -0500

Hi!

Yesterday morning I saw no notice whatsover.
I downloaded 9.2.1 and upgraded to it.
ISC called it  a 'bugfix' release.

However - I just looked at the CHANGES file for 9.2.2

There are no security notes in the section for 9.2.2
but in the notes for 9.2.2rc1 these appear:

1356.   [security]      Support patches OpenSSL libraries.

1349.   [security]      Minimum OpenSSL version now 0.9.6e (was 0.9.5a).

as well as a zillion other changes.

Now I have to upgrade all over again :(

Should they note that there are security
bugs in the current release, or is it my responsibility to read
all of the CHNGES files for all the release candidates _before_
I upgrade from one relase to another??????

Did I miss something as well here?

--
Information wants to be priceless.
Albert Sunseri

The ISC website lists the following as of today:

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

"ISC has discovered or has been notified of several bugs which can result
in vulnerabilities of varying levels of severity in BIND as distributed by
ISC. Upgrading to BIND version 9.2.2 is strongly recommended. If you
cannot upgrade, BIND 8.3.4, 8.2.7, and 4.9.11 are available."

9.2.2 apparently was just released yesterday though I've seen no
discussion about any specific vulnerabilities.

The matrix at the bottom of the list shows two vulnerabilities, one with
openssl, the other with libbind.

Can anyone elaborate on what's happened here?  I susbscribe to the BIND
mailing list and haven't heard anything about this issue.

Thx