Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TEXT/PLAIN: ALERT("OUTLOOK EXPRESS")

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:59:37 -0400

At 8:35 PM +0200 7/25/03, Denis Jedig wrote:
Internet Explorer seems to take no offense on Content-Types either - text/plain from a web server is happily rendered as HTML, if it contains valid tags.

It has long been a standard assertion that programs should produce standard-complaint protocols, but be lenient in accepting data contrary to the standard. Microsoft has taken this one step further. In addition to attempting (not unreasonably) to try and guess what the user is trying to do, they've written code that tries to guess what a remote client or server is trying to do. I think a history of Microsoft security holes clearly shows that this is *not* an appropriate programming practice. The acceptance of incorrect data makes security scanning by intermediate parties extremely difficult. Attempting to "correct" for incorrect remote behavior benefits nobody. It encourages programs and people to generate incorrect code, and it opens up security holes when by the standard there ought to be none. We've seen this time after time in things like HTML code embedded in JPEG comments, decimal IP addresses using intentional overflows, and a plethora of other cases. Policies that make sense in dealing with end user actions can be deadly when used with remote standards and protocols.

(Of course this policy also has the side effect of making it extremely difficult for smaller players to compete with the dominant one, since they have to be bug-for-bug compatible.)
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.