Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Preventing exploitation with rebasing

From: "David Litchfield" <david () ngssoftware com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:52:05 -0800

DL> Server install on the planet. In fact if I rebase every DLL on my
system and
DL> every executable then I can make my box almost invulnerable to a given
DL> exploit, past, present or future. It's not that my box is invulnerable
to a
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Bullshit. I am willing to bet that most heap overflows will be
    exploitable even in a fully rebased address space. I don't need to
    know a "jmp ebx"-address, I can _write_ a "jmp ebx" wherever I
    want.

Keyword in my preceding statement : "almost" - as in "almost invulnerable".
The context of the discussion was a method to defeat exploits that use fixed
locations. The statement was meant in that context - I thought that much was
obvious. I also end the mail by saying this method is NOT full proof and
they are ways of defeating it. Rebasing will help cut out many of the
exploits written for a vulnerability - it raises the bar and requires a more
advanced exploit.

DL> buffer overflow vulnerability - it's just invulnerable to the exploits
for
DL> it. To gain control of a system protected in such a way
DL> would require that the author of the exploit know the location of
loaded
DL> DLLs.

Rebasing everything is something you're not very likely to achieve. Hardly
any
commercial software has executables which still contain valid
relocation information -- which means that you can rebase all DLL's as
much as you want, the main EXE (which is always mapped at 0x00400000
and cannot be remapped)

This is simply not true. There are many exe image files with a base of
0x01000000
e.g. winlogon, services, lsass, etc, etc.

Oh, and there's always the static mapping of the TEB's under Windows.

So the solution you're proposing
   a) Will only work against a small subset of all
      closed-source-applications (those with relocatable main .exe)

Could be small or large - exact numbers would be useful. If all the DLLs are
rebased then you still need to find a suitable instruction in the exe. Added
to this - the common default base of 0x00400000 will mean there's a NULL in
the address cutting out a great deal of vulnerabilities that require
abritray code to go after the saved return address.

   b) Will even then only protect you against vanilla stack smashes, and
offer 0
      protection against heap corruptions or format string bugs

Agreed. This method is to prevent those exploits that require an address to
contain a specific instruction.

   c) Will be suspectible to brute-force attacks on your address space
      (which cannot be more complex than 2^15 ... hardly a "hard"
      task)

Of course this requires that the server stays up. In the case of SQL Server,
and many other issues, it would not - so you get one chance.

There's many more weaknesses to what you propose.

Again, I'll reiterate - this is not a full proof method. Here it is in black
and white.

If I don't rebase my system I'll be vulnerable to every basic exploit.
If I do rebase my system I won't be vulnerable to every basic exploit.

Personally I prefer the later option.

Cheers,
David