Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PHPNuke SQL Injection / General SQL Injection

From: MightyE <mightye () mightye org>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:20:29 -0500

Actually, user supplied input from $_COOKIES, $_POST, and $_GET comes slash-escaped, so if the user enters
' or 1=1
as their input, the sql statement will look like
where some_int='\' or 1=1'

This is determined by the PHP directive, magic_quotes_gpc. During script execution, you can execute
if (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()){
   //code to recurse global variables, calling addslashes() on their values
}
to ensure that all user supplied input is properly escaped.

The proper escaping for ' and " in most databases (excluding Oracle and Sybase only, I believe), is to use \', \", and \\.

In Oracle and Sybase, ' and " are escaped as '' and "". Magic quotes in PHP can be configured for Sybase compatibility, see the PHP website.

What I do on my portable code, where I can't know whether or not the server it's running on has magic quotes enabled, is use a function like this:

function escape($input){
   if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) return $input;
   return addslashes($input);
}

and all user input through that. As far as I know, all major databases accept quoted integers and interpret them as standard integers, so *always* quote user input so that they cannot inject SQL.

David Walker wrote:

When programming a system that creates sql strings based on passed in integers
i.e. where some_int=$variable_from_querystring
you must always do a check to confirm that that variable contains only numeric data.
an alternate fix on sql servers that allow the format
where some_int='1234' -- (quoted numbers)
would be to do
where some_int='replace($variable_from_querystring,"'","''")'
This would cause a more than likely harmless error to occur whenever character occurs within the passed in numeric/integer variable.