Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: phpBB Security Bugs

From: Konrad Rieck <kr () roqe org>
Date: 21 Feb 2003 11:19:52 +0100

Hi Lucas & List,

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 21:37, Lucas Armstrong wrote:
If a correct password hash digit is guessed, the admin's name will show up
as an online user, in the online user list at the bottom of the forum
page. After the password hash is determined, it is then placed in the
cookie and access is granted to the site.

I am just wondering... You are talking about guessing a 33-digit
hexadecimal number?

Even if there are 1.000 admin passwords in the hash-space and you
succeed finding one after only searching 10% of space and you are
checking about 1.000.000 hashs per second. You won't finish until the
sun goes nova (which is rather impractical, especially for CPU-
cooling).

I believe this is a theoretical attack against phpBB 2.0, but maybe I
missed some magic in the way phpBB generates these password hashs,
acutally I haven't looked at the code.

Regards,
Konrad

--