Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Putting the "NSA Data Overwrite Standard" Legend to Death...

From: Simple Nomad <thegnome () nmrc org>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:03:02 -0600 (CST)

Jonathan,

When I was developing ncrypt (http://ncrypt.sourceforge.net/) I wanted to
include a wiping function for the original plaintext file. I did a lot of
searching and found numerous references to NSA or DoD standards, but that
particular DoD reference was also as close as I got.

I have implemented Peter Gutmann's recommendations from his 1996 paper
"Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" (which is
at http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html) as a wiping
alternative. This gives you 35 overwrites in a bit pattern designed to
thwart advanced recovery efforts. How effective it is remains to be seen
(who has the equipment AND knowledge to test it?).

Near as I can tell if someone says they are doing NSA overwrites, they are
full of shit. In addition, based upon Mr. Gutmann's paper and the fact
that it is quite old, one can assume that with advanced forensics the
simple 3, 7, or 9 time overwrites that these products are claiming as
secure actually are not even close to the level of security they claim. In
fact, by following this "glossy brochure" de facto standard, data is not
secured from recovery by an advanced recovery effort at all.

Where does the level of security lie? On one end of the spectrum, your kid
sister cannot recover the file, on the other end the big spook agencies
can get it no problem. The question is who can do an advanced recovery
effort these days?

-         Simple Nomad          -    negotium     -
-      thegnome () nmrc org        -   perambulans   -
-  thegnome () razor bindview com  -   in tenebris   -