Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [ANNOUNCE] glibc heap protection patch

From: William Robertson <wkr () cs ucsb edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:33:37 -0800

On Dec 02, 2003, at 03:27, Eugene Tsyrklevich wrote:
With such a poor random number generator you only raise a bar slightly
higher whereby attackers have to predict your "random" canary in their
exploits.

Also, since you initialize "__heap_magic" once per process, an attacker
might be able to use nmap to determine the uptime of the victim machine
which will quite precisely determine when a process was started (a valid
assumption for daemon processes).

Eugene,

Actually, I agree with you, that should be stronger. What I think is even worse is the case of local heap exploits, where the attacker knows with some precision when the process starts. It seems that this should be patched to use some source of randomness such as /dev/random instead of time().

Thanks!

--
William Robertson
Reliable Software Group, UC Santa Barbara