Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Windows Server 2003 Security Guide available

From: "Uwe Betz" <Uwe.Betz () honeynet de>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:39:46 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: David F. Skoll [mailto:dfs () roaringpenguin com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 5:08 PM
To: Jason Coombs
Subject: RE: Windows Server 2003 Security Guide available

Just out of curiosity (I have no Windows systems, but
anyway...) I downloaded the .exe and was able to unpack it
under Linux using "unzip".  So if you want to examine this
file more-or-less securely, open it on a UNIX or Linux box
instead of Windows.

You may also go this way using Windows and i.e. WinRar. Just right-click the
exe and choose "deflate to folder" (or simething like that) to get it
unpacked. It's such a lot of tools and information - even security-related -
packed into self-extracting .exe. Just to mention PGP with it's option to
create an encrypted, self-extracting .exe out of a bunch of files. Before
clicking that .exe you'll never know if clicking will then prompt for the
passphrase like expected or harm your system.

That's todays way of computer/internet life and (in)security is implemented
for free :-)

Jui